[Samba] RE: License Metering Software to work with SAMBA

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Nov 21 20:57:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 01:42, Chris Lindberg wrote:
> Dear Tom,
>
> The express product makes standard windows api calls to the machine where it
> is installed to open, read, write to, and close files on the network. It
> does not, in any way tell samba how to react, it is simply telling Windows
> to open, read and write to the files on the network leaving how it is done
> to the underlying network protocols.

You would be surprised how much of 'standard system calls' turns into
'unusual series of packets on the network'.  Quite a number of bugs in
Samba have been found by simple database applications...

> Based on what I have seen it appears that Windows XP workstations are
> intermittently writing invalid data to the log files. The log files
> containing invalid data are deleted by express when a repair is run, at the
> beginning of any update of the database, which is done to prevent corrupt
> data from being written to the database.
>
> We believe that there is a conflict between Windows XP and samba which
> results in the intermittent writing of invalid data.

And the basic rule around here is 'if it works against Win2k server, and
fails against Samba, then it's a bug'.  Is there any chance you can test
your software against the latest production Samba?

If you can reproduce the bug against 2.2.7 or (bonus points!) reproduce
it under some form of test program, I know Jeremy gets very keen to add
it to the test-suite.  (In the past, a small database vendor's internal
lock torture-test found it's way to jra' INBOX - a slew of bugfixes
followed :-).  Much of the information discovered finds it's way into
our smbtorture utility.

> The applib.loc file is a text file which simply indicates what machine last
> had the library open in the Express Administrative Console.
>
> Sincerely, Chris Lindberg
> Express Metrix Technical Support

I would seriously recommend an upgrade to Samba 2.2.7.  A large number
of locking bugs have been fixed since then.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net