[Samba] Samba is broadcasting other network shares...

Steve Morley steve at morleys.org
Thu Nov 21 18:50:01 GMT 2002

Hi All,

I have a new samba configuration (2.2.6 FreeBSD 4.7), and the machine has dual
NICs, one is for the student network, the other is for the staff.  They're
both working fine except for one major pain.

In Network Neighborhood, they can see each other.  It doesn't appear that
they are able to access the shares on the other LAN, but I need to remove them
somehow.  Basically, some machines are using peer-peer (printing and a little
local file sharing), and I don't want them seeing the other network.  They're
physically on seperate LANs, the only common link in the chain is the actual
SAMBA daemon, so I must assume that it's trying to be helpful and broadcasting
the peer shares across the two networks.

Any way to stop this?

I tried running multiple copies of smbd and nmbd, and thought I had it
working, but then it failed all of a sudden and wouldn't come back :(  Ideally
They'd each log into seperate workgroups, but the --pidfile directive is
failing for some reason.

TIA
Steve