[Samba] W2K-Clients won't join Samba Domain

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Thu Nov 21 13:13:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 02:05:26PM +0100, rgx at gmx.de wrote:
> // sorry for x-postings with smb-client
>
> Dear list,
>
> for days and weeks, now, I am fighting to add our W2k clients to
> our
> domain. The previously NT4 server was replaced by Samba 2.2.2,
> and this is a list of what I tried so far:
>
> - re-create machine accounts
> - enable plain passwords in w2k registry

	Isn't possible. Domainauth based on encrypted passwords.

> - enter domain suffix string
> - vary IP and name of clients
> - add NT ACL = NO to [GLOBAL} section on smb.conf
>
> Sometimes I seemingly succeed, i.e. joining the domain results in a
> 5
> minute pause and then a message "welcome to the domain". But
> when I try to enter username/password after a reboot, I always get
> the same
> message (machine account does not exist or account not valid).
>
> I am very grateful for any suggestions

If possible use the newest samba release. Actually 2.2.7 with some security
fixes.

--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de