[Samba] Limiting User Space on Samba Share

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 20 20:40:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:20:27PM -0600, Kevin Bramblett wrote:
> Can someone tell me if Samba can limit users to certain amounts of space on
> specified shares?  If so, where would I go to find out how to implement it?

Samba can't do it, but you can use filesystem quotas in the underlying
OS to limit users' disk usage. The one shortcoming is that it's not done
by share, it's done by filesystem. So if you want to control (for
example) people's user directory sizes on a /home filesystem, it's easy,
but if you have one big /export filesystem with a dozen different shares
all accessible by the same users quotas can't do what you want.

As I recall, Samba has a quota compile-time option that will check the
filesystem quotas and use that for the free-space display when users
check the properties. Not necessary, but useful.

> I have the following setup:  RHL 7.2, Samba 2.2.3a using a Windows 2000 PDC
> with Winbind.  I want to be able to set a limit for each user on certain
> folders/shares on the Linux box that they are accessing from Windows
> systems.

I think RH's stock kernels have quota support enabled. If you're using
Red Hat's bundled Samba packages, I think those have the quota support
I mentioned above compiled in too. You will need the RPMs for the quota
tools installed, I think the RPM is just "quota" or "quotas".

--
Michael Heironimus