[Samba] here's a fix for Goldmine (and other ISAM database based programs) on Windows NT/2000/XP clients talking to samba

Cymen Vig cvig at raw-io.com
Wed Nov 20 16:48:34 GMT 2002

We have experienced the same sort of problems on an older DOS shared
database system that functions similarly to Goldmine.  Instead of
disabling oplocks on the clients, we disable oplocks on the specific
share for that application:

example (note last line):

[tracker]
    path = /usr/shares/tracker
    read only = No
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    force group = tracker
    oplocks = no

After running testparm it looks like this share should also have:

    level2 oplocks = no

This effectively fixes the problems for our application without having
to disable anything on the desktop or affect oplocks on the other shares
on the server (AFAIK).

Did you try disabling oplocks on the server and have it not work and
thus have to disable them on the desktop?

Regards,
Cymen Vig