[Samba] WINBIND cache and security

Chris McKeever cgmckeever at prupref.com
Wed Nov 20 16:08:01 GMT 2002

Two logistic questions regarding winbind:

1.  I am not clear based on the description as to the winbind cache.  I am
wondering if the PDC of the network goes down, if the WINBIND cache maintain
the passwords as well as the user/group information...OR....if with each
request the server actually polls the PDC to get the password?

2.  Currently, since I am using full NT user/group authentication without
any local users, I have the directory permissions set to 777..is this the
correct way to do it, it was the only way I could ifnd to let read/write
access?  In addition, if there is a sub-directory that needs different
access rights, can that not be achieved because I am using the NT
authentication?

Thanks
Chris McKeever