[Samba] Not able to see public shares on W2k from Linux

Jan Hohe jhohe at tomtec.de
Wed Nov 20 13:04:01 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I work with linux and SUSE 8.1 in a W2K PDC environment. I successfully
configured Samba to be able to connect from the Wk2 computers to
linux and vice versa with one exception:
I'm not able to see the public shares of the window computers from linux
(NetShareEnum failed, NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)
unless I provide a username and password. From Windows to Windows it's no
problem
to see the public shares without a password.
Since I thought that it is the
special thing about a public share that you do not need a password
I guess something is wrong...

Information on the PDC:
- Guest account disabled (this might be the answer to the problem)
- It seems that is doesn't make a difference weather the linux computer is
configured at the PDC as a Domain-Member or not (or do we have to reboot the
PDC)

Here is an excerpt of the smbclient printout:

> smbclient -L "NetBiosName" -d 4

Got a positive name query response from "Ip Of NetBiosName"
Connecting to "Ip Of NetBiosName" at port 139
session request ok
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[NetBiosDomainName] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN
Manager]
session setup ok
tconx ok

        Sharename      Type      Comment
NetShareEnum failed
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

        Server               Comment

        Workgroup            Master

Thank you for your help

Jan