[Samba] Samba 3 as BDC

Ronan Waide waider at waider.ie
Wed Nov 20 11:56:00 GMT 2002

On November 20, abartlet at samba.org said:
> It should work, once  you get the SIDs right, for users at least
> (assuming ldap or rsynced smbpasswd).  Other things are harder to get
> synced across correctly.
>
> There is some (slightly out date) documentation in the source disto.

I'm fighting with this at the moment. net rpc vampire isn't documented
in the source distro (that I can find, anyway) but for anyone else
playing with it, it does take a bit of fiddling to make it work. I
presume there's a way to make all this work without creating Unix
accounts (LDAP or winbindd) but since I'm trying not to go too far out
on a limb, I will note that the use-unix-accounts option requires you
to have working "add machine", "add user", and "add group" scripts. It
will fail non-obviously if you don't have these (for example, it
claims to be creating the groups, but doesn't do so, because you've
not defined the script - this had me stumped for a while).

The question I'd have, since it's pertinent to what I'm trying to do:
Is it possible to "net rpc vampire" a PDC, then promote Samba to the
PDC and demote the Windows box to the BDC? I don't care if syncing
doesn't work after I've done that, I just need to be able to force
every machine in the domain to recognise that the PDC is, er, not the
PDC any more, but I can't take the PDC out of the domain entirely
because there are other things running on it.

Cheers,
Waider.
--
waider at waider.ie / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.

"A one question geek test. If you think it's funny, you're a geek. Seen on a
 California license plate on a VW Beetle: "Feature"" - Joshua D. Wachs