[Samba] here's a fix for Goldmine (and other ISAM database based programs) on Windows NT/2000/XP clients talking to samba

Jeff Davies jeffd at aber-instruments.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 07:38:01 GMT 2002

Goldmine seems to a compiled database application compiled in something likeClipper.

Clipper applications record lock through ISAM like files (DBF).
However, in Windows NT/2000/XP, Opportunistic locking is turned on
by default in order to accelerate file transfer from file services.

[Windows 95/98 did not Opportunisticly lock]

However, opportunistic locking corrupts ISAM and ISAM like databases.

Here is how to turn off opportunistic locking.
(NOTE: It has to be turned off at a system wide level, there is no provision in
windows to enable this for some file services and not for others.)

Opportunistic locking turned off on the Windows XP client in this way:
Start-Run->(type in)   RegEdt32

navigate to
\Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters

new Key or type DWORD
name  "EnableOplocks"
leave value at default 0.

navigate to
\Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters

new Key or type DWORD
name  "EnableOplocks"
leave value at default 0.

Close rededt32 and reboot.

This has solved our Goldmine database corruption problems (started when the
first Windows XP client was connected (all other machines were Windows 98).
Wizard Systems, makers of Goldmine has been notified, and the above information
will be on their support database.

This also should solve similar problems (if any are found) with similar MS
Access systems using shared database files (as opposed to passthru SQL to
backend ODBC connectors to SQL Servers of one sort or another).

There was a post by a user saying "Goldmine is a horrible system we moved to MS
Access" which was rather unhelpful. Our sales people think Goldmine is
excellent, and having written many a customised CRM system in Lotus Notes
(Dow Jones (London), Ryder UK etc), I also think Goldmine is a good program.
(could perhaps do with the option of putting data into a back end SQL server eg
MySQL etc). And I've seen an awful lot of CRM systems.

Jeff Davies
Electronics Engineer
Aber Instruments Ltd