[Samba] passing passwords

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Nov 20 05:04:00 GMT 2002

Charles,

Domain security can use only encrypted passwords. You need to set in
smb.conf [globals] "encrypt passwords = Yes", then add your uses to
smbpasswd by:
	smbpasswd -a 'login_id'
for each user. Win2K domain security (as with NT4) demands this. Also, MS
have not maintained plain-text password support since NT4 SP2. This means
that not logins and tree re-connects are affected. The only sure solution
is to use encrypted passwords.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra