[Samba] Problems with Word 200 and Samba 2.2.6

Ed Stoner ed at whsd.k12.pa.us
Tue Nov 19 22:27:32 GMT 2002

I'm hoping someone has some insight into a problem I'm currenty having,
which is:

No one is able to edit (in place) documents with Word 2000 on a samba
(2.2.6) disk share.  A user can open word and save a document to the
share, but when they go to edit the document Word says "Word cannot
complete the save due to a file permission error".  From Microsoft KB
Q211632 it appears that Word 2000 performs the following steps to Save an
Edited File:

1.) Create a temp file (Create ~wrdxxxx.tmp)
2.) Write temp file (Save example data to ~wrdxxxx.tmp)
3.) Delete original file (Delete EXAMPLE.DOC)
4.) Move temp to target name (Move ~wrdxxxx.tmp to EXAMPLE.DOC)