[Samba] Printing probleme Samba 2.2.3.a with CUPS

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Nov 19 22:24:53 GMT 2002

There was this message on samba-digest:

 > Message: 3
 > Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 05:13:00 +0000 (GMT)
 > From: John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org>
 > To: "Frank =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCster?= geb.  =?iso-8859-1?q?F=FCrst?=" <ffrank at rz.uni-potsdam.de>
 > Cc: <samba at lists.samba.org>
 > Subject: Re: [Samba] Printing probleme Samba 2.2.3.a  with CUPS
 >
 > On 22 Oct 2002, Frank [iso-8859-1] Küster geb.  [iso-8859-1] Fürst wrote:
 >

 >>Let me step in on this topic...

It *won't* even *try* to resolve it -- see below. The continued advices
on this list to use an "absolute path to the printer" by one pseudonym
"linux power" makes me curious to ask what is meant with that new term?
I never encountered an "absolute path to a printing device" either.

"lpstat -v" gives something that is named a "device URI" in all relevant
documentation. If it is the "parallel:/dev/lp0" device-URI, one *could*
assume to take the "/dev/lp0" part as a "path", even an "absolute" path.
But what about device-URIs like

    "lpd://10.160.51.131/PORT1"
    "socket://hp-printer:9100"
    "ipp://kde-cups-server/printers/infotec4105"

To create a new term of "absolute path" only creates confusion and urban
legends...

Please explain to me (and anybody else) what you mean by your advices in
detail (and give one or two examples) because I didn't understand a thing
so far...

 > FYI: I do not have any problem with this on Caldera OpenLinux, nor on SuSE
 > Linux, both of which use CUPS.
 >
 > FWIW: You might like to check the CUPS documentation in samba-2.2.6. You
 > can find it in: ~samba/docs/textdocs/CUPS-PrintingInfo.txt - might be
 > helpful.

There is also a hint in the smb.conf man page:

   ...*if* the setting is "printing = cups" and "printcap = cups" and
   ...*if* Samba is compiled against libcups,
   ...and *if* there is an entry in "cupsd.conf" to make CUPS create a
      printcap file ["Printcap /etc/printcap"],

then *any* print command setting in smb.conf will be *ignored*, as samba is
then using a direct access to the CUPS API for printing....

 >>You mean this is still a problem in 2.2.5 and 2.2.6? And what can I do
 >>if I don't have a share for each printer, but just a general [printers]
 >>share?
 >>

 >>>So I've been thinking about this and was just about to dig into
 >>>fixing it, but am confused.  Did you compile Samba to include
 >>>the cups libraries?  If so then setting
 >>>
 >>>[global]
 >>>	printing = cups
 >>>	printcap name = cups
 >>>
 >>>is all you need.  You don't need the "print command" in this
 >>>case as smbd will send directly through the cups API.

Not just "don't need" the print command -- it is not used at all, it is
useless to try and use it...

Cheers,
Kurt