[Samba] adding users question

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Nov 19 19:21:31 GMT 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Jack Malone wrote:

> I'm in process of configuring a server here at work with 8.1 an plan to use
> samba on it also. I'm going to use it mainly at a printer server to relieve
> some stress on my main file/server with suse 8.0 an samba. I'm setup on
> that old server as a workgroup with samba, do not want to mess with domain
> at this point. not gotten it to work in past an not had time to play with
> it much of late. I want to be able to transfer users from the other server
> over to the new one an have samba users have the same access as on the
> other server. It would be nice to not have to type in all the users again
> on the new server. thanks.
> The new suse 8.1 server is using samba 2.2.5 an the old one is still on
> 2.2.3a.

You can convert your password file from shadow to un-shadowed, then cut
and paste your UNIX users between the /etc/passwd file. Do cut and paste
on the /etc/group file. Then convert back to shadow password.

Also, just copy your /etc/samba/smppasswd file across.

To convert from shadow to un-shadowed:
	pwunconv
To convert back to shadow password:
	pwconv