[Samba] Problem with win2k and winXP

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Nov 19 17:58:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Klaus Umbach wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a network, where users want to login with their same username from
> Windows 2000 and from Windows XP on a samba PDC.
> When the machines logon, I can see the OS in the logfile of the machine on
> my server, but i cannot use different profiles for Win2k and WinXP, because
> the %a in smb.conf always gives back Win2k.

Win2K is NT 5.0, WinXP is NT 5.1, same family.

> The profiles of win2k and winXP aren't compatible, so i can't just ignore this.

Correct.

Welcome to Windows! The STANDARD that breaks itself!

> I hope someone understood my problem and may help me.

Your problem is that you have Win2K and WinXP. Correct! Recommended
solution is replace both with Linux, oops, not practical, Ok, let's try
again, ...

Update to WinXP, oops, costly! Argh! Windows - it's the STANDARD!

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org