[Samba] PDC Problems

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Nov 19 15:02:00 GMT 2002

Michele Santucci wrote:
> Ok this time I attached all the involved files.
>
> I try to explain the incident from the very beginning:
>
> I have a linux server (Mandrake Pro Suite 8.2 updated to the latest fixes
> etc.)
> I removed the supplied 2.2.3 samba distrib. and reinstalled the new 2.2.6
> (mandrake 8.2 rpm taken from the binary distribution of samba.org)

It's normally best *not* to remove a package, but just to upgrade it,
but this shouldn't make much of a difference.

> , the
> attached smb.conf show how I set it up to act as a PDC.

I haven't looked at it in detail now, but FYI, the default smb.conf that
ships with the samba RPMS on Mandrake needs about 6 lines uncommented to
turn it into a domain controller with many features. I don't like swat
because it removes all these well-tested examples which are configured
for Mandrake including the directory layout we use.

> The domain must be CCGM and the server netbios name CCGM-SERVER
> I just added an alias for backward compatibilities...
> I created all the users (since we have two distinct kind of users I
created
> two
> groups i.e. "ccgm" and "satyagra") and 'passed' everyone to smbpasswd.
> Now I have to join a W2K PRO SP3 workstation called 'video' to this
domain,
> it run just TCP/IP (no NETBeui neither IPX).
> Before attempting to join the domain I set the workstation to act as a
> standalone pc
> & then rebooted it (I also restarted smbd & nmbd) I logged in as
> administrator, then
> I start the network ID configuration (I supplied root as the username
(with
> it's password)
> VIDEO as the computer name and CCGM as the domain name), the procedure
goes
> on
> haging a little just before the last step after that I found these
lines on
> log.video but the
> w2k worstation at this time reported no errors:
>
>    [2002/11/19 13:13:28, 0] smbd/password.c:authorise_login(863)
>     authorise_login: rejected invalid user guest
>
> After joining the domain the network ID procedure wizard asked me to add a
> local user

I always use the procedure that I have made animated screenshots of here:

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/muo/connect/csamba6.html#join

I don't trust wizards ;-).

> so I tried to import a domain account and I got these lines in the
log.video
> file:
>
>     [2002/11/19 13:47:03, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(381)
>       make_connection: root logged in as admin user (root privileges)
>
>     [2002/11/19 13:47:08, 0] smbd/password.c:authorise_login(863)
>         authorise_login: rejected invalid user guest
>
> This time the w2k workstation reported me the infamous error:
> "Cannot add user the trust relationship has failed"
>
> I really cannot understand what's going on...

But have you rebooted the machine and tried to log in?

Also, we don't run SP3 yet, we currently only run up to SP2 due to
issues with the EULA ...

Buchan

- --