[Samba] IPC$ share accessible with arbitrary usernames/passwords

kirk johnson tuna at indra.com
Tue Nov 19 14:45:01 GMT 2002

AB = andrew bartlett

 AB > Both options are only in Samba 3.0. Run 'testparm', before you
    > wonder why an option doesn't work.

ah, now i understand what you meant by "samba HEAD".

 AB > It's an information leak - an unauthenticated user can find out
    > a list of all users.  Interestingly, much of this information
    > can be inferred from other calls that are not controlled by
    > 'restrict anonymous = 1'.

okay.

 AB > Samba 3.0 implements 'restrict anonymous = 1'.  I'm about to add
    > 'restrict anonymous = 2' support.  (Which locks down all guest
    > access to IPC$, but breaks lots of things, like PDC and browse
    > mater support).

so is it fair to say that this "hole" is not completely closed by any
currently-released versions of samba?

tx,

kirk