[Samba] swat from 2.2.6 and RH 8.0

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson at unboundtech.com
Tue Nov 19 05:45:00 GMT 2002

I know there have been previous threads about this, but I don't think
they match my problem. I have the xinetd script provided by the
Samba.org 2.2.6 binary RPM, and when I enable it and reload xinetd, I
see xinetd listening in a `netstat --ip -lnp` command. When I point my
browser at http://localhost:901/ I'm given an Alert dialog window
stating "Document contained no data." If I disable the xinetd script and
start swat manually, swat -s /etc/samba/smb.conf, I don't see port 901
open in the netstat, and my browser gets a connection refused error
dialog. It's not a firewall issue, as I get the same behavior after
issuing `service iptables stop`. I'm using the 2.2.6-2 RPM for RH 8.0
from samba.org. It's not that big of a deal to configure manually, but
it would be nice to know why it doesn't work.

--
Justin Georgeson
UnBound Technologies, Inc.

5295 Hollister Road
Houston, TX 77040
Real Applications using Real Wireless Intelligence(tm)