[Samba] Should be easy-printing problem rest of Samba works

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Nov 19 04:46:00 GMT 2002

I know nothing about cups or about how you have configured your system.
Can you  print from the server?
Have you told your server which printing system you are using?
Do you have the proper drivers for your printer installed on your clients?
Why have the printers section if you specify the printer in Laserjet?
As you trouble shoot this, keep these points in mind.
The windows client will transfer the file to your server to the print spool
/var/spool/cups.
It must be filtered on the windows client.
Once the transfer is complete, samba invokes the appropriate print command
for that file. Samba knows the print command because you told it the printing
system you are using, right?
At that point, the server takes over, and prints it like any other file.  A
common mistake for a beginner is to send the filtered file to the wrong
queue. Although your print filter may be magical, and will detect a data
file and not attempt to filter it anymore, and thus mess it up, you can't be
sure. So, just send it to a raw queue, that is, a queue that doesn't try to
filter the job further.
I leave nothing to chance, so, here is what one of my printer sections looks like:
[Win4LinZ53]
	comment = Raw Printer for Z53
	path = /tmp
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.
	printable = Yes
	printing = lprng
	print command =  /usr/bin/lpr -PWin4LinZ53 -J'%J' %s; rm %s
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -PWin4LinZ53
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -PWin4LinZ53 %j
	lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold -PWin4LinZ53 %j
	lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release -PWin4LinZ53 %j
	printer name = lp
	share modes = No

/etc/printcap
Win4LinZ53:\