[Samba] Samba mappings not reconnected on WinXP reboot

Darren.Stanton at santos.com Darren.Stanton at santos.com
Tue Nov 19 02:17:01 GMT 2002

Dear Samba Team,

We're running Samba version 2.2.4 on a Solaris 8 file server.

Recently all PC clients were upgraded from NT4 to WinXP and although all
drives are mapping (following the EnablePlainTextPassword fix) the Samba
drives are not being reconnected correctly during a reboot of the client.

We are used to the NT clients prompting for a password during boot to
authenticate any required Samba drive mappings. However the XP clients do
not currently prompt for a password until the user manually starts Explorer
and double-clicks on the one of the Samba drives. These drives still appear
in Explorer but are displayed as disconnected (red cross against the drive
letter). Once the user has double-clicked the drive and supplied a valid
password, the red cross disappears and all is perfect until the next
reboot.

How do we force the XP client to prompt for authentication during boot (as
in NT world) so that all mappings are automatically accessible once the
machine is booted without the need to force the issue via Explorer ?

Any help you can offer would be fantastic.

Kind regards,
Darren Stanton.
Unix Systems Administrator.
Santos Ltd.

PS. We have tried (rightly or wrongly) applying the "RequiresSignOrSeal"
reg fix found on the Web - No change in behavior.

Santos Ltd A.B.N. 80 007 550 923
Disclaimer: The information contained
in this email is intended only for the use of the
person(s) to whom it is
addressed and may be confidential or contain
privileged information. If
you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any
perusal, use, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly
prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please immediately
advise us by
return email and delete the email without making a copy.