[Samba] Help with PAM Config

Richard Canada richard.canada at mrli.ppdi.com
Mon Nov 18 14:19:00 GMT 2002

You need to comment out the first line with securetty.so.   This will allow root
to login.

Dave Morrow wrote:

> I've installed SAMBA, Winbind etc and everything is working great for users
> to login with GDM using DOMAIN+username
>
> Although this is working, now I can no longer login as a generic Linux user
> (ex. root).  The following is my GDM file from /etc/pam.d/gdm
>
> I wonder if someone might have a suggestion as to what it's missing to allow
> Linux users to login?
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
> auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
> auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_unix.so use_first_pass
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
> account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
> account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so
> session    required     /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel
> umask=0022
>
> David Morrow
> Network Administrator
> Autodata Solutions Company
> Ph: (519) 951-6067 Fax: (519) 451-6615
> mailto: David.Morrow at autodata.net
>
> "Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on my part."
>
> This message has originated from Autodata Solutions Company.  The attached
> material is the Confidential and Proprietary Information of Autodata
> Solutions Company. This email and any files transmitted with it are
> confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
> whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
> Administrator at autodata.net
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
> auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
> auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_unix.so use_first_pass
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
> account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
> account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so
> session    required     /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel
> umask=0022
> --

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email
messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and
that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone
or return email and delete the original transmission and its attachments
without reading or saving in any manner.