[Samba] "hiding" and "vetoing" files (for Samba 2.2.2 & Windows Explorer)

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Mon Nov 18 09:05:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 10:00:48AM -0800, Darin DeCounter wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.  We tried setting "browsable = no" (along with
> "hide files" & "veto files" option), but we can still see shares and their
> contents from Windows Explorer ('95 version).  Is this maybe not possible
> to accomplish using Windows 95?  Thanks for any additional help.

Does some server on yout network make wins?
If not, think about the caching of network objects in the neighbourhood
browser. Do you boot between those test on yout win95 maschine?

If the share is setup with "browsable = no" there is _no_ way to get this
share name by browsing. It can only be accessible by caching an old entry.

Some words to hide/veto files: If it's possible to uses valid users for those
shares, use them instead of hide/veto files. The server needs much perfomance
for hiding and vetoing for every user connection. This should be a bootleneck.

Please let us know the results.

--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de