[Samba] Printing: Access denied, unable to connect

Steve Carter scarter at pobox.com
Sun Nov 17 18:25:00 GMT 2002

I doubt it'll help much, but I've done some more investigation.  The
original system was a FreeBSD 4.7 server running samba 2.2.6:

# smbd -V
Version 2.2.6
# uname -a
FreeBSD xxxx.xxxx.xxx 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #0: Wed Oct 16
17:38:23 MST 2002 root at xxxx.xxxx.xxx:/usr/src/sys/compile/XXXX  i386

I built a new box running Debian Linux 2.2r7 with samba 2.2.3 and CUPS
v1.1.14:

# uname -a
Linux xxxx.xxxx.xxx 2.2.19 #1 Sat Jun 9 13:04:06 EST 2001 i586 unknown
# smbd -V
Version 2.2.3a-6 for Debian

I also shutdown every other SMB box on my network and worked with one
Windows 2000 laptop and the aforementioned Debian machine.  I bet you can
guess now that I got the very same error message on the W2K laptop whether
using the Debian/cups or the FreeBSD/lpd servers; "Access Denied, unable
to connect".

This is totally silly, and there appears to be nothing in the logs (of
anything) to indicate exactly what is denying access.  All I can think of
is to use tcpdump and hope I can grab something interesting but SMB is so
chatty it'll be almost impossible.

Anyone else seeing these same errors?

-Steve

* Steve Carter <scarter at pobox.com> [021106 17:53]: