[Samba] filename problem

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Nov 16 22:55:39 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 22:58, Mirek Hankus wrote:

>   I got problem with filenames. Some info on my configuration
> 	Samba 2.2.6
> 	client code page=852
> 	character set=ISO8859-2
>

>   When serving files with " character, example:
>
> 	user on "server" (H).lnk
>

> (standard link to home drive). Windows 2000 sees something
> like
>
> 	user~x%
>
> It is even worse when such file is located in user profile, which makes
> it impossible to save user profile to samba server.
> Coping is possible only from windows to samba (filename is preserved)
> but coping back fails besause windows see different filename.

Yes, we have some problems in this area - because of our use of DOS
codepages in Samba < 3.0, this kind of thing happens.  I'm told that if
you don't specify any codepage settings at all, then it shouldn't munge
the path, but I'm not sure.

I would try again with Samba 3.0 (currently in alpha), with the default
settings.  In that case we *should* be correctly translating
unicode-on-the-wire to utf8 on the disk, and avoid some of these
problems.  (Existing files may still be 'broken', but new files will be
created in utf8).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org