[Samba] Windows Domain Question

Robert Adkins raa at impelind.com
Sat Nov 16 14:18:00 GMT 2002

Hello Everyone,

	I know that this should probably be directed at a Samba-NT Domain
mailing list, however all the links leading to such lists on the
samba.org web-site are broken.

	Anyway, I am in the process of replacing a Windows NT 4.0 PDC with a
Redhat Linux 7.3 Samba running machine. I have a little question
regarding the machine accounts.

	There are a few Windows NT and Windows 2000 machines on the network,
those machines also happen to have the same names as the normal users of
those systems. (I didn't set up the network originally. I would have
named them something else.)

	The issue is, would creating the machine accounts that have virtually
the same name as the user accounts be an issue with Linux and Samba? The
only difference between the user and machine accounts would be the
inclusion of the $ after the machine name.

	Does anyone have experience with this?

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer