[Samba] Windows 98 cann't connect to Samba

qlin qlin at san.rr.com
Sat Nov 16 00:40:01 GMT 2002

I get a problem of setup samba connection with a Windows 98
My Linux box has RH8.0 on it and is networked with a Windows 98 PC

What I have done:
(1) Follow the instructions on "The Official Red Hat Linux Customization
     Guide" and config smb.conf
(2) Run the test in DIAGNOSIS.txt, failed in step 5.
(3) Step 7 is OK, which means local smb client can connect to smbd
     service and access the shared. (smbclient)
(4) Because Windows client is unable to connect, I guess that the
     problem might be the inproper configuration on client PC. I search
     hosts file on client PC, find one called hosts.sam (I guess it
     is a samlpe file).  copy hosts.sam to hosts and add a line of
     ip(of linux box) linux-hostname (so I can ping linux box from client
     PC using linux-hostname.
(5) On linux box, add client PC's ip win98-hostname (so I can ping
     client from linux box using win98-hostname.
(6) When client PC restart, click netowrk nerghbor, I can see both
     linux-hostname and  win98-hostname but when click linux-hostname
     I get "\\linux-hostname is not accessable. the computer name might
     not be correct" error.
(7) I could not find where on client PC win98-hostname is stored
     (definatly not in hosts file). ping win98-hostname does work fine.
(8) The smb.conf looks like:

[global]
    workgroup = HOMENET
    server string = Samba Server
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    printing = lprng
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 0
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = no
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    unix password sync = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
    pam password change = yes
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    dns proxy = no

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    valid users = %S
    create mode = 0664
    directory mode = 0775
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

Can someone advice me of what should I try next?