[Samba] "hiding" and "vetoing" files (for Samba 2.2.2 & Windows Explorer)

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Fri Nov 15 15:42:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 07:20:02AM -0800, Darin DeCounter wrote:
> We're running Samba 2.2.2 on an RS/6000 (AIX 4.3.3) using Windows 95
> clients. We've tried the "hide files" and "veto files" option in smb.conf,
> but when the shares are mapped, we can still see the contents in Windows
> Explorer. We used the wildcard for all the contents of the shares (ex. hide
> files = /*.*/). The Samba manual only makes reference to Windows 98, so is
> this even applicable on 95? Once we test on 95 and implement, we'll be
> upgrading to Windows 2000. If at all possible, we wanted to hide the entire
> share on Windows Explorer (not just the contents, but we'll take what we
> can get). Someone said when mapping, we could specify a "$" at the end of
> the share within the "net use" syntax and this would hide the entire share,
> but it doesn't work and they were doing this on an NT system (so we're not
> sure if Windows 95, 98 or 2000 even supports this).  Thanks in advance for
> any help.

If you want to make a share invisible, you should add "browsable = no" to the
share section in smb.conf. This share is invisible but accessible! If someone
knwe the sharename, than it is possible to access this share via explorer
and/or net use command.

You can restict the access to users and group with "valid users = ..."
Take a look at "man smb.conf"

--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de