[Samba] filename problem

Bernd Wölfel bernd.woelfel at techpilot.net
Fri Nov 15 13:50:01 GMT 2002

alright.. just tried it with 2.2.3a and 2.2.6

i created a file "test".txt with vi \"test\".txt, the file shows up
correctly within the shell as "test".txt

when i look under windows (2k sp3 and xp sp1 both german)
the file shows up as TEST~AO.TXT same on samba 2.2.3a and 2.2.6 (see the
filename is converted to uppercase?!)

could still be your characterset or your codepage could you comment both
lines out just for testing?

>On Win2k sp3 Polish and XP Polish  " are preserved when dragging
>drive to desktop, so I've got big problem.
>
> Have you tried to create a file with " on server (directly in shell),
and see how
>client see it ???
>
>Mirek

Bernd Wölfel wrote:

strange...
just tried it with servers win2k,samba 2.2.3a, samba 2.2.6 and clients
2kpro sp3, xp sp1 (all german edition)

under my computer I see the natwork drive as "blabla" on server xyz(z)
but as soon as i drag the share to the desktop the " charcters are
automagically removed

my smb.conf
says
character set = ISO8859-15 (but I think this has nothing to do with the
problem)

which client operating system are you using?

bernd

Problem is that Windows creates such file automatically. Steps to

create such file.

1. mount your home directory under h:
2. open "my computer" and drag h: drive  to your desktop.
3. now you have file with " character, which can be copied to samba,

but not from samba to windows.

Mirek

Bernd Wölfel wrote:

correct me if i am wrong but " is no allowed character within a filename
under windows

hope that helps

bernd

  I got problem with filenames. Some info on my configuration
	Samba 2.2.6
	client code page=852
	character set=ISO8859-2

  When serving files with " character, example:

	user on "server" (H).lnk

(standard link to home drive). Windows 2000 sees something
like

	user~x%

It is even worse when such file is located in user profile,
which makes
it impossible to save user profile to samba server.
Coping is possible only from windows to samba (filename is preserved)
but coping back fails besause windows see different filename.

Regards
	Mirek