[Samba] Problem with print$

Lloyd Dieter dieter at snrgy.com
Fri Nov 15 11:45:01 GMT 2002

Ok...I'm stuck.

Environment:

Suse 8.0, with Samba 2.2.3a, no domain controller (workgroup only).

Client machine is NT4 Workstation, SP5.

Access to disk shares is fine, no problems, using encrypted PWs.

I'm trying to set up a [print$] share, as described in chapter 6 of the
Samba-HOWTO-Collection.

The symptom that I get is that when I attempt to load the driver to the
print$ share, I get a "copy error" on the NT machine, which seems to
indicate a problem with the source.  Yet, I can install the driver from
this location directly on the NT machine without a problem.  When this
appears, no files are put in the print$ share.

It looked to me like a permissions problem, so that is how I have been
approaching it, but to no avail. The location for print$ is
/etc/samba/drivers, owned by root:root, with 777 access, including the
parent directories.

I though perhaps the ownership by root was as issue, so I also tried a
directory owned by ldieter:users, which is how I am connecting (ldieter is
an admin account on the NT box), but saw the same problem.

The relevant part of my smb.conf is below...any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,

-Lloyd

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = LANGROUP
        interfaces = 192.168.5.2/24
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        printcap name = cups
        character set = ISO8859-15
        os level = 2
        printer admin = @ntadmin, ldieter
        printing = cups
        use client driver = Yes

[printers]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = root
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.5.
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[printer$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        write list = root, @ntadmin, ldieter
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = yes
        readonly = yes

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter at snrgy.com
             Main:585-389-1260    fax:585-389-1267