[Samba] Help on ACLs and samba

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Fri Nov 15 09:54:00 GMT 2002

> So I can create the same user id.  How about the groups?  Eg groupname
with 2 or more words?   How can I create them in Samba?

You can have groups with more than one word but you will need to enclose
them in " ".  I would recommend you use a '_' though or something similar
rather than a space.

> Is there a possibility that I can map like abc group in Samba with abc
group in NT4 PDC?

Are you wanting to keep the existing PDC and use Samba as a member server?
If so then all you need to do is investigate using winbindd which will give
you access to the NT SAM database and allow you to treat them as local
users/groups on the Samba server.

> Are you saying that if you copy files from the NT4 PDC to Samba Linux, the
ACLs will be lost?  No way to preserve them?

Correct.  Even if you copied files from one NT server to another you will
lose the ACLs.  The only way to document your ACLs in NT is using the
command line utility 'cacls'.

Noel

---