[Samba] NT domains -vs- simple workgroups????

C Bud budcf at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 15 05:34:07 GMT 2002

Hi, I've been following some of the posts (never
received a reply to mine but found one similiar).  I
have a question that I hope you can clarify.

Original question:  I can see the server from my
Windows XP machine using network neighbors, but when I
double click on it I get: Path not found

One reply:  If you're using NT domains (not simple
"workgroups")...

What is the difference between the NT domains and
simple workgroups?  Where do you set a "workgroup"
name in NT?  I understand it in Linux, Win 98/95, but
NT only asks for domain name.  At least that I can
see.

At home I'm using RedHat 6.0 samba server (version?),
NT4;service pack 1, and Win 98.  My "intranet" is
running on Apache in the samba server.  From the NT
and Win 98 pc's I can access the intranet via Netscape
and MIE.  I can see the samba server in Network
Neighborhood and I can open the path to the files.  I
can open the .html and .txt files from them also and
make changes to them.  I have not had to make any
changes to the default smb.conf or the apache config
files.  The files are saved in /home/user/public_html

At work I'm using RedHat 6.0 samba server (version?),
NT4 (service pack??) and Novell Netware Server
(version??). My "intranet" is running on Apache in the
samba server.  From the NT pc's I can access the
intranet via Netscape and MIE.  I can see the samba
server in Network Neighborhood but when I try to open
it I get Path not found, no valid path to server, etc.
I am unable to open any files on the samba server,
which is what I need to be able to do.  The files are
saved in /home/user/public_html  I only have
administrator access to the samba server.  There is a
coworker with administrator access to the NT
machine's, but they know less about this than me.
Neither of us have access to the Netware server and
evidently, the coworker wants to leave out the "main
IT" people.

What can I do on the samba server, or can be done on
the NT machines?  Not knowing the service pack
version,
but having read that 3 and above don't allow plain
text passwords, I have asked him to
 EnablePlainTextPassword in the registry.  Will this
work?  Do I need to make changes to the smb.conf file?
What changes?

Well any help would be appreciated!  (But please don't
say get a newer version of Linux)  If I need a newer
version of samba, where do I dowload it from?  Is it
rpm?  or tar?  Easy to install/compile? etc...

                      Thank you.
                      C Bud