[Samba] Samba's Printer Going Off-Line (after a Win98 Machine speaks to it)

Elizabeth Barham lizzy at soggytrousers.net
Fri Nov 15 04:58:00 GMT 2002

James Hubbard <jhubbard at mcs.uvawise.edu> writes:

> It sounds like a power management problem on the printer.  Have you
> tried disabling power save.  I think that model has one.
>
> James

Hi James,

   Thank you for responding so quickly.

   I have not seen any power management option on any of the
printer-related dialogs. The closest I can find to anything remotely
like a "put printer in powersave mode" is found in win.ini under
[PrinterPorts]:

// Read PrinterPorts from win.ini.Returned string should be of the
// form "driver,port,timeout,timeout", such as "winspool,LPT1:,15,45".

From: <http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:puy-J3mEMk0C:msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gdi/prntspol_27uc.asp+printerports+win.ini+site:msdn.microsoft.com&hl=en&ie=UTF-8>

   But that may be in reference to timing out as when the printer does
not respond or some other possible error condition:

<http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:Px6cAqvYsuoC:msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wceddk/htm/_wceddk_global_printer_settings.asp+site:msdn.microsoft.com+timeout+printer&hl=en&ie=UTF-8>

   Elizabeth