[Samba] Samba's Printer Going Off-Line (after a Win98 Machine speaks to it)

Elizabeth Barham lizzy at soggytrousers.net
Fri Nov 15 03:52:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

   I have a light firewall machine that also acts as a Samba print
server for a Win32 host on my intranet. For some reason, if the Win98
machine hasn't printed for an extended length of time, the printer
goes off-line. When the Win32 tries to print, the printer throws an
error and we have to unplug the printer and then plug it back in. It
then tries to finish the print job which doesn't look too pretty (its
an HP Laserjet 5L).

   What is very strange is that that particular machine also is the
lpd print server and there are no problems whatsoever printing from an
lpd client; the only time the printer goes off-line is after a Win32
client speaks with the Samba Print Server, probably when the Win32
client shows the print dialog.

   Any ideas on what is causing this problem and possibly a solution?

Thank you,

Elizabeth