[Samba] Help on ACLs and samba

Adrian Chow Seng Yien chowadrian at icr.a-star.edu.sg
Fri Nov 15 02:23:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

Firstly I want to declare I am a newbie to Samba.  I am installing samba over Redhat 8.0

I need to know whether Samba can replace my NT4 PDC in the following aspects and how to do it:-
1.  ACLs.  Must i create the every user name in Samba as in the NT4 PDC?  How do I create groups like "Protocol Stack" with space in between the groupname?  (Making sure that the ACls are mapped properly when transfering files over to Linux Samba)
2.  If I were to transfer files from the NT4 PDC to Linux Samba, can I retains the ACLs being set on NT4?  How must I do to ensure the ACls are retained?  (Similar to question 1)
3.  Is there any method to transfer the SAM over without creating every user and group all over again?

FYi, my PDC is doing file sharing only with permissions set for different groups in different levels of the directories.   I am going to remove the NT4 server and use Samba ultimately.

If cannot answer in 1 email, please refer me to the right documentation to do so.

Thanks.

newbie adrian