[Samba] Bytle Locking

Ben Griffith bgriffit at email.unc.edu
Thu Nov 14 19:57:01 GMT 2002

-----[ coryawynn at yahoo.com wrote on 11/14/2002 11:02 AM -0800 ]-----

> Failed to open byte range locking database
> ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
> Can't initialise locking module - exiting

Try running 'smbclient -L localhost'

This has helped me in the past. It seems to initialize the databases that
smbstatus looks at.

> However When
> I click on accessing linux I get resource not
> available.

>From win2k does 'net view \\linux' show you anything? That should list the
available shares. If not, then it would seem that name resolution is the
problem. Try 'net view ip.of.linux' If samba is happy, that should show you
the shares.

Also, make sure that the RH8 does not have the firewalling enabled. As root
'service iptables stop' should turn it off. Then try the access from the
w2k box. If that works, then you will need to create firewall rules for
samba traffic. Much has been posted about that in the past.

     --Ben--

Ben Griffith
bgriffit at email.unc.edu