[Samba] Server v. Workstation installation

Troy.A Johnson troy.johnson at health.state.mn.us
Thu Nov 14 19:50:01 GMT 2002

What is the output of these commands:

/sbin/ipchains
/sbin/iptables

>>> "naugaranch" <naugaranch at earthlink.net> 11/14/02 01:42PM >>>
Hopefully someone can help me.  I've been running a windows 2000
Workstation
and Server.

This spring I added a Linux workstation (Red Hat 7.2 - Samba 2.2.3a) to
the
network.  Took some work but that is running fine.  smb.conf seems to
be
giving me what I want.

LAN addresses are assigned with DHCP.  I have had several people tell
me
that they have a network running with static addresses.  I DO NOT have
domain controller.

While upgrading some machines, I decided to try a Linux server.
Installed
Red Hat 7.2 as a server.  First installation of Samba was that
distributed
with Red Hat 7.2.  I could read files on the windows machines but the
W2K
machines did not recognize the Linux Server.  I could ping the address
or
server name and get a replay - just not available (Network Path Not
Found)
from windows.  Even though I could "ee" the linux server in Netwrok
Neighborhood.

I tried upgrading to the latest Samba at the time - 2.2.5 -- still no
luck -- even with smb.conf that is identical to the one on the
workstation
except for Netbios Name and Server String, identifiying the server.

I appear to have a valid password file.  This has been rebuilt a
couple
times.

Here's a copy of the server smb.conf.  I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Winfield

; Samba Workstation Configuration File
; Tom Winfield 10/25/02