Fw: [Samba] How is the Samba people stress testing Samba.

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Thu Nov 14 17:12:16 GMT 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 04:38:03PM +0100, Bo Jacobsen wrote:

> The reason I posted the original message is that I'm really interested
> in knowing how Samba has been stress tested.

This came up recently in the thread "How Samba let us down". Members
of the Samba Team responded with some impressive facts and figures.

Try here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&w=2&r=1&s=how+samba+let+us+down&q=b

In summary, Samba is tested with extreme thoroughness before a production
release is put up on the FTP site. Many of the corruption
problems are caused by clients and bad network hardware. Definitely
set oplocks = off when using Samba with large or flat database files,
or use the veto oplock files parameter to turn off oplocks for just the
database files.

If you are experiencing file corruption that is actually caused by
Samba, then we'd all like to know exactly how to reproduce the problem.
The Samba Team takes this kind of thing very seriously ... but the
thing is, it's usually a client or network hardware problem.

Jay Ts