[Samba] locking "issue"

Tony Lay tlay at incat.com
Thu Nov 14 17:09:02 GMT 2002

Dear list,

I personally think this is a non-issue, but I may be incorrect.  If it is a
non issue I need to find a way to get some communication going on making it
evident to the devlopers of a software program.

I have strict locking = YES (which is by default set to NO) set
and I have been repeatedly told that there is a locking issue within SAMBA.
I don't believe this is the case as we are pushed towards a propriatary
client.

Basically it boils down to this...

1.) Samba has been stable...no/few issues
2.) Locking is set to strict...shouldn't have the issues that COMPANY X and
COMPANY Y had right?
3.)Why do I want to pay thousands of dollars because COMPANY X and COMPANY Y
couldn't figure out that locking should be set.

Now what I'm asking if:
A.) Is this locking issue is indeed resolved by me setting this lock?
B.) Even if that setting resolves said issue or not - what can I do to get
some communication open for testing so we don't have to purchase X product
because of a simple fix or setting change.  I'd be more than happy to get
ahold of some developers at this place to get some kind of a dialog set up.
It _should_ be in their best intrest to get interoprability going with samba
as we aren't the only customer running it with thier products.

The following message is from a developer at the software company...