[Samba] performance

Nick Potemkin nick at yp.ru
Thu Nov 14 10:16:00 GMT 2002

Hello.

I've got:

hardware
1) PII-350
2) 512Mb mem
3) RAID controller Adaptec 3200S I2O (two channels), 64bit PCI, but attached to
32 bit PCI slot.
4) 6 SCSI LVD drive in external box, attached to one channel of controller and configured as RAID-5
5) aic7xxx with system drive

software
1) debian 3.0 (woody)
2) kernel 2.4.18
3) samba 2.2.3a-6 (from woody)
4) winbindd
5) reiserfs on RAID mounted with (rw,noexec,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,notail)

And i've got the problem:
Our designers has got program quarkXpress. When this program opens file for
makeup - it checks for changes many many files (may be 10 or 2000), associated with opened. It does many open/close cycles ( i saw it in samba logs). And on my configuration it works very slow :( Designers say it worked faster on NT server (on the same hardware, but without RAID).

Now i need your advices :)

=================== smb.conf ============================
[global]
   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root
   winbind uid=10000-20000
   winbind gid=10000-20000
   winbind separator = +
   client code page = 866
   character set = KOI8-R
   security = domain
   password server = PASSWORD_CHECK_SERVER
   create mask = 777
   directory mask = 777
   workgroup = MY_DOMAIN
   server string = %h server (Samba %v)
   max xmit = 8192
   read raw = yes
   read size = 65535
   write raw = yes
   getwd cache = yes
   log level = 0
   syslog only = no
   syslog = 0
   encrypt passwords = true
   wins support = yes
   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
   dns proxy = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   unix password sync = false

; It's example of one share. All other shares are the same.
[Share1]
   comment = Share1
   writable = yes
   valid users = @MY_DOMAIN+Share1Users