[Samba] samba and/or DAV

pilsl at goldfisch.at pilsl at goldfisch.at
Thu Nov 14 01:13:00 GMT 2002

while looking for a solution for webbased access to our samba-servers
I found a recommendation towards using DAV instead.

I just took a first glance at DAV (www.webdav.org) and find it very
interesting.

Are there any documentes comparing these two strategies in intranet
and internet (speed, reliability ...)

I would also be greatly interested if anyone here uses DAV to allow
roaming users to access their server-files and is willing to share his
experiences. I see a lot of troubles regarding some special and widely
used features in samba that do not have a direct counterpart at DAV
like valid users, force group ...  and then samba allows to map
different directories under the same sharename for different users,
which is also a very common feature in samba.

WebDav seems as an alternative to VPN's and tools like smb2www-2 to
me, cause its very easy to install and could be secured/maintained in
well known apache-context (if one uses the apache-dav-modules)

Thnx for all,
peter

--
mag. peter pilsl