[Samba] Samba and large implementations

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 13 23:07:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 04:05, Daniel Jarboe wrote:
> abartlet at samba.org wrote:
>
>  > There are some known scalability issues with Samba 2.2, --with-pam or
>  > --with-utmp  (an n^2) problem.  You will no doubt find other issues too,
>  > but I do believe it will be more reliant on who Linux/390 scales.
>  >
>  > How will these users be authenticated etc?  This is the main area where
>  > I can comment, and one of the first problems you will encounter.
>
> What is --with-utmp supposed to buy you anyway?  I'm working in a RH 7.2
> environment with 2.2.6, using winbindd to authenticate against an NT
> PDC.  Is --with-utmp supposed to cause connected users to show up in a
> 'who'?  It doesn't seem to.

Need to turn it on as an smb.conf option.

> Also, is the default of obey pam
> restrictions = no sufficient to avoid this n^2 problem, or am I better
> off rebuilding the spec without it?

You will need to rebuild.  Depending on how you squint, it might be just
an n problem - it's n per connection - so it's really n^2, but in
parallel.  Try it out, and see if session setups make a bit penalty on
your system.

> Will that cause me to lose
> pam_winbind.so et al?

Yes.

> I'm looking at a much smaller domain (about 3000
> NT id's, with no more than 500-700 concurrent connections).  Are there
> more of these configuration settings that could cause significant
> bottle-necks?

I fixed this stuff up a lot in 3.0, so you might just want to jump to
one of the alphas.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org