[Samba] Scripting Question and Profile Question

Aaron Cline acline at rimvisions.com
Wed Nov 13 02:07:01 GMT 2002

Hello all:

I have just setup about 30 new Compaq EVOs with Windows 2000 sp2
and have them all up and running well and using the Samba Domain
Controller like a charm.  I do have some questions that I am hoping
someone will be able to shed some light on.

1.  I initially had problems with what appeared to be profile corruption
but upon further inspection I found that for some reason, when a
person in the domain logged in they tried to connect to their profile
as the user "nobody".  This would result in the user being denied
their profile since at the time nobody was not allowed.  I added
the following to smb.conf
[global]
guest account = nobody

and
[profiles]
guest ok = yes

and this fixed the profile being denied.  Upon looking at the logs
however, I see that the users are still frequently being logged into
their profiles as "nobody".  Is this normal?  And has my current
setup become incredibly insecure?

2.  I have setup all these machines and I am having several small
Office 97 bugs that require several registry keys to be edited.
Does anyone have the mastery to tell me how to write a login script
that will merge some saved registry keys to the local machines registry?
Or is there a better way to do this?

Any help on either of these questions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
A Cline
acline at rimvi*remove*sions dot com
Remove the *remove*