[Samba] pam password change = yes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 12 22:06:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 03:48, Gurnish Anand wrote:
> What is the significance of having pam password change = yes in the smb.conf
> I have pam password change = yes and also passwd chat = ......... option
> set....
> Do I need both or one....

OK, the way it works is this:

When 'pam password change' is set, it uses PAM rather than 'passwd
program' to do the change.  This is easier to debug, and gives us back
sensible error returns.

However, PAM doesn't have a changepass(user, newpass) interface, you
have to respond to a series of prompt in the same way a user would.

This is what the 'passwd chat' is about, but in my experience the
default actually works.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org