[Samba] Samba permissions

graemew at excoeng.com graemew at excoeng.com
Tue Nov 12 20:35:02 GMT 2002

I am at Samba 2.2.4 on Solaris 8 using Win2000 clients.  The system default
umask is 022 in /etc/profile and I have set user umask to 002 in .profile.
Does Samba read/interpret either of these?  All other setting are default
but I have set global permissions to;

create mask = 0664
force create mode = 0664
directory mask = 0775
force directory mode = 0775

and 'read = no' on the specific shares.  It appears I am not getting the
correct permissions.  A newly created directory will have 777 in one share
and 775 in another.  A newly created file will have 777 in one share and
664 in another.  I cannot find any consistency in setting these
permissions.  I have also se those parameter on specific share with the
same result.

I understand that 'create mask' is a ADD while 'force create mode' is an OR
in setting permissions but it doesn't appear to be doing this, at least not
consistently.  At one point I thought it was ignoring Samba and UNIX and
only getting permissions from the parent directory but this isn't the case
in the above example.  I log in/out of client for each test.

What is going on?  Is this a problem with my install or with V2.2.4?  Any
help would be appreciated.

- Graeme