[Samba] using winbind without a PDC

Andy Fish ajfish at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 16:55:56 GMT 2002

Hello

Can someone tell me whether it is possible to use winbind on a simple windows workgroup (i.e. with no NT domain and hence no PDC). I *thought* I saw it work in samba 2.2.3 but now I am on 2.2.6 and the winbindd daemon won't start up - it loops forever in the initialization trying to contact the PDC.

All I want to do is configure nsswitch.conf to resolve hostnames with netbios broadcast. If there is a simpler way than winbind, I'd be interested to know about it.

--- Andy