[Samba] Switching to another Samba server

David Donahue david.donahue at FIRSTSOLUTION.COM
Tue Nov 12 02:51:26 GMT 2002

I've been running Samba 2.2.2 for a while as a domain controller on my
mostly Windows network.  It's been working great up to this point.
Anyway, I just put together a new Linux server and installed 2.2.2 on it
as well.

I copied the conf file and pretty much mirrored everything on the
existing server, changed the paths and the "workgroup" field in the conf
file to match the new server, and ran the software.  I'm able to join
the domain, but when I attempt to login to it after rebooting, it says
the domain is not available.  And when I login to the Windows machine as
the local Administrator and try to connect to the domain it says "the
server is not configured for transactions."

The log file samba generated for that client's connection repeats
attempts to access /root/tmp (I don't know why) and keeps saying that a
password server is unavailable.  Any ideas?

Could the problem be some kind of conflict with the current server on
the other machine?  Until the new one is fully working I still have the
old one running on the other computer.  Admittedly, I don't know what
every setting in the conf file does.  So is it likely that, for certain
fields, identical settings on both machines would cause some kind of
conflict during a logon?

David P. Donahue
david.donahue at firstsolution.com
First Call Computer Solutions