[SAMBA] 2.2.6 performance question (solaris 8 on SS20)

Justin Richards samba-list at black0ps.org
Tue Nov 12 01:45:01 GMT 2002

I am having trouble finding a good source of information on the average Samba 2.2.6 file server performance.

Any general examples or web sites are fine, I am just not coming up with any good information yet.

Specifically I have a SunSparc 20 with dual 75mhz (1 meg cache) procs, 512 megs of ram, and fiber attached 1010 Array with about 300 gig of storage using DiskSuite 4.2.1 and Solaris 8.  Current file system layout:

4 stripes with 4 18gig drives
1 mirror with 9 gig drives
1 raid-5 with 7 9 gig drives

On the stripes, locally I can get an average of 12.5 meg/sec read and write speeds, which i think is pretty good for the age of the hardware.  However mounting a samba share on an XP or Win2k pro box, the max throughput is on average about 3 meg/sec.

all boxes on my network talk with 100 meg NICs and I have a Cisco 2900 switch.

any ideas/suggestions, or questions are appreciated!

Thanks!