[Samba] PDF Creation

Duane Ellis duane_ellis at franklin.com
Mon Nov 11 22:03:15 GMT 2002

I am not on the SAMBA list - so please if you reply remember to CC me.

My Linux users have access to ps2pdf - a nice tool to convert Postscript
files
to PDF files.I'd like to make it available to my PC Users - who don't
understand
what a command line prompt is....

I know the following works:

1) On my Windows machine - Add a new printer
   an APPLE LASER POSTSCRIPT WRITER
   But specify it's output to be a FILE.

2) Print a document to the file.

3) Transfer it to my Linux box and run ps2pdf - works like a charm.

So - why can't I do this with Samba (answer: I don't know samba well enough)

a) Configure a printer under SAMBA

b) Instead of going to a PRINT QUE the data should be piped through
    the program "ps2pdf"

c) The output is a PDF file.. Normally Adobe PDF writer would
     put the result file some place on my Windows hard drive.

d) I think the SAMBA print service knows the Windows USER NAME
    why can't SAMBA email the PDF file back to me.

Sure - I don't get all those fancy features that Adobes PDF Writer gives me.
I don't need them - nor do I want them, I never change the default settings
anyway.

For my users who really need that flexabilty - I'll purchase the full
PDF Writer
package. Or maybe - I could setup another PDF2MAIL script with the
options they want or need in place.

Should be nothing more then a 10 to 20 line shell script of some type and
knowing where in side of samba to put it.

I did try to search the samba site for info about this - but it is
fruitless - do you knonw
how many times the phrase "pdf" shows up...

My idea is just a thought - and a wish.

-Duane.