[Samba] MSDFS...

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 11:15:01 GMT 2002

>Subject: Re: [Samba] MSDFS...
>From: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
>To: Fabrizio Morbini <fabrizio.morbini at libero.it>
>
>On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 18:52, Fabrizio Morbini wrote:
>> Hi, After some experiment with MSDFS on Samba I have seen this problems
>> and I don't know if this are caused by my possible wrong configuration or
>> if are "feature" of MSDFS:
>>
>> So my question is: How can I use the replication feature (if exists) of
>> MSDFS?
>
>MSDFS is distributed, but not replicated.

For more information, I can recommend the Samba DFS chapter of the
HOW-TO Collection:-

  http://dp.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#MSDFS

In there, there is a link to dome Microsoft Documentation which even
includes a section headed 'Volumes that Include Alternate Paths', which
exactly covers your original problem.

You might want to look at rsync  (http://rsync.samba.org) if read-only
replicated shares are what you're after.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641000 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)