[Samba] Samba PDC problem: Please help me avoid a mutiny! :-)

Ray Simard ray.simard at sylvan-glade.com
Sun Nov 10 19:50:01 GMT 2002

On Sunday 10 November 2002 01:02, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> OK.  Some details on Samba's internal request processing:
> [snip]
>
> This could happen for any number of reasons, but basically there isn't
> much Samba can do - the client closed the connection.   You need to look
> at why the client has done this, particularly as clients normally don't
> (they negotiate down the session, and normally keep a live connection to
> the server).
>
> At this point the standard answer is 'check your networking gear' and
> 'grab a sniffer'.  See if you can find evidence of lost packets,
> retransmits or other things that could cause the client to think the
> server had timed out.
>
> For information on the CIFS protocol, see
> http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/index.html
>
> For a *very* good sniffer see http://www.ethereal.com
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Thanks very much for the pointers. I'll have to dig into this.

I did do some detailed traffic dumps with tcpdump for some of the tests early
on, but at the time I wasn't as aware of what to look for. I'll give it
another try.

Also, I haven't looked into any patterns that might indicate that certain SMC
commands are more prone than others to provoke this behavior, or indicate
otherwise. As I said, I'm pretty new at this (thanks for the reference to
CIFS info as well). I have found it kind of fun to hack some additional DEBUG
macros into the code. Open source is great, ain't it? :-) Perhaps a few might
be of general interest, such as clarifying that one I mentioned in the
previous note.

If I learn anything out of this that might be helpful to others, I'll post it
here.

Thanks again,

Ray Simard