[Samba] How stable is samba 3.0?

Yura Pismerov ypismerov at tucows.com
Sun Nov 10 15:03:01 GMT 2002

Mikko Rautiainen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im using 2.2.x at the moment and I'm wondering should I move to 3.0 now.

I don't think anybody would recommend you using it in production.

> I need samba to be a file server in couple networks. What I need in all
> of them is to get the samba to authenticate user / group from
> winNT/Win2k servers. At the moment this doesn't work with the 2.2.x
> because my lack of knowledge.

If you can get your Samba PDC connected to both it should not be a
problem.
Or you are asking about different domains ? Then you need 2 Samba
instances running
on different IPs.

> I have 3 weeks time to get this working =). If I can't make this I must
> install Microsoft software in those tree new file servers :( and that I
> don't want.
> All the tree networks are a like.
>
> So is the Samba 3.0 stable enough to be used in a companys use wich
> needs stablenes?
> Is the 3.0 easyer to conf to be in a WinNT domain?

What makes you think that Samba 3.0 would solve your particular problem
? :)